6/18/2010

Leaders and Followers: How to Start a Movement

Derek Sivers: How to start a movement | Video on TED.com



As Derik Sivers describes a movement, he states: "Leadership is over glorified. ...it was really the first follower that transformed the lone nut into a leader.... If you really care about starting a movement, have the courage to follow and show others how to follow."

So what does this mean to you? How does this apply to your life?

Life is full of "movements". I know I can't be a leader for everything / everyone but I sure can pick and choose who I'm following or what I choose to lead.

I follow leaders who represent truth - what I believe is 'my' truth. If I were to tell you that I'm a follower of Personal Development and Positive Alignments, this would be my truth, my paths. You, as an entirely separate person, might not have the same 'truths' or 'paths' thus wouldn't necessarily choose to follow the same leaders I do. And that's perfectly fine. Just know who you choose to follow.


Also to take into consideration is the number. If you start to follow a movement and then another, and then another... just remember that too much of a good thing can be bad. You can't be a good follower if you're following too many leaders.

On the flip-side, if you decide you want to be the 'lone nut' or aka 'leader' then you also have responsibilities. If you have followers, they are there because they believe in you, they believe in what you are representing, they believe in your leadership. Wow that's a huge responsibility! What can you do about this? Nurture your followers and allow them to self-develop and teach them what you know. Doing so spreads that responsibility and accountability to the entire "crowd". It now becomes not just what you are saying / doing but what everyone in this movement are saying / doing. Create the momentum, share the acknowledgements, and thrive on the growth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips for Hanging Picture Frames and Framed Art

To See Visual Examples and Explore more options, visit my one of my Pinterest boards:  http://pinterest.com/tammymathieu   General Hang...